There is a strong need for salespersons to fill San Antonio retail jobs. Visit http://sanantonio.jobing.com/jobs/retail for more information.
Retail salespersons work in a variety of industries to help customers find what they are looking for. This may include describing the features of a product, demonstrating the uses of a product, and promoting a product's values.
No specific amount of education is required to become a retail salesperson, although some employers prefer to hire those who have a high-school diploma. Most employees will learn the majority of what they need to know through on-the-job training.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, there were about 4.5 million retail salespersons throughout the nation during 2008, and that number is anticipated to grow by 8 percent by 2018.
The majority of these employees work for clothing and accessories stores, department stores, building material and supplies dealers, motor vehicle and parts dealers, and general merchandise stores. About 156,500 retail salespersons are self-employed.
Employment of retail salespersons in the San Antonio area is expected to increase from 3,900 workers during 2006 to 5,050 workers by 2016, resulting in 1,150 additional jobs and an overall growth rate of 29.5 percent, according to the Texas Workforce Commission.
Employment throughout Texas should grow from 332,750 workers during 2006 to 411,350 workers by 2016, accounting for 78,600 additional jobs and an overall increase of 23.6 percent.
The top industries that employ retail salespersons in the San Antonio area include:
- Department stores - 14.26 percent
- Clothing stores - 12.58 percent
- Other general merchandise stores - 11.47 percent
- Building material and supplies dealers - 7.19 percent
- Automobile dealers - 7.04 percent
- Electronics and appliance stores - 3.99 percent
- Office supplies, stationery, and gift stores - 3.16 percent
- Sporting goods, hobby, and musical instrument stores - 3.10 percent
- Shoe stores - 3.06 percent
- Health and personal care stores - 2.59 percent
- Grocery stores - 2.47 percent
- Furniture stores - 2.37 percent
- Jewelry, luggage, and leather goods stores - 2.34 percent
- Other miscellaneous store retailers - 2.24 percent
- Home furnishings stores - 2.23 percent
The average wage for retail salespersons in the San Antonio area was $9.25 per hour during 2009, while the average wage in Texas was $11.15 per hour, and the average wage throughout America was $11.84 per hour.